Now that "Spring has Sprung" in Miami, fresh peas, basil, mint and tomatoes deserve to be showcased in this delicious recipe by Celebrity Chef Curtis Stone via People Magazine April 6, 2015 ( http://greatideas.people.com/category/curtis-stone/ ).
MIAbites added in optional fresh grape tomatoes from Teena's Pride for a little more color to the original recipe.
Curtis Stone’s Pea Pesto & Mozzarella Bruschetta
1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
1 cup loosely packed mint leaves
9 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1½ tsp. grated lemon zest
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
4 thick slices ciabatta bread
2 tbsp. minced shallots
1 tsp. minced garlic
1½ cups fresh English peas
1 cup of grape tomatoes/halved( optional addition by MIAbites )
4 oz. burrata or fresh mozzarella, at room temperature
⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a food processor, combine the basil, mint, 5 tbsp. oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and ¼ tsp. salt, and process until nearly smooth, about 1 minute. Leave the mixture in the food processor.
2. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle 2 tbsp. oil over both sides of the ciabatta and season with ½ tsp. salt. Grill the bread for about 3 minutes per side, or until lightly toasted and grill marks form. Transfer to a serving platter.
3. In a skillet over medium heat, add the remaining 2 tbsp. oil, then add the shallots and garlic; sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender and translucent. Add the peas and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until they are cooked through but still bright green and crisp-tender. Add grape tomatoes to lightly warm. Remove from heat.
4. Place one half of the warm pea mixture into a large bowl, and add the other half to the pesto in the food processor. Pulse 12 to 15 times until the peas are coarsely chopped. Transfer the chopped peas mixture to the bowl of whole peas and fold to combine.
5. Divide the burrata or mozzarella among the ciabatta slices, and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the pesto on top, top with tomatoes , sprinkle with Parmesan, and serve immediately.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes