If you were fortunate to attend the Oyster Bash during this past February’s South Beach Wine + Food Festival #SOBEWFF , the grilled oysters from Executive Chef Ryan Haigler of Grand isle Restaurant in New Orleans were one of the most popular stops at the event held at Lure Fishbar. In "shell-abration" of today's National Oyster Day, here is the buttery, cheesy recipe for these yummy oysters that can be baked or broiled in the oven or better yet, grilled over an open flame. Plenty of lemon on the side and you will be the hit of any Summer grillin party.
Tasso Butter Baked Oysters with Jalapeño, Havarti and Herb Bread Crumbs
Executive Chef Ryan Haigler
(4 Dozen Oysters)
For the Butter:
1# BUTTER, SOFTENED
2 CUPS ONIONS, DICED
1 CUP CELERY, DICED
2 CUPS GREEN BELL PEPPERS, DICED
.5 CUPS GARLIC, CHOPPED
1.5 CUPS WHITE WINE
1 CUPS CHIVES, FINELY SLICED
.5 LB TASSO, DICE
1 TBL SALT
1 TSP BLACK PEPPER GROUND
6 EA JALAPENO ROASTED, DICED
2 CUPS GRATED PARMESAN
1. Pull butter out to room temperature to soften
2. Small dice peppers, onions, celery. Chop garlic and sweat these vegetables down in a 10” sauté pan until soft and translucent.
3. Add white wine and reduce until wine is almost completely gone. Leave only about 2TBL in the pan
4. Small dice Tasso (or other seasoning style ham) and add with vegetables in food processor and mince pulsing food processor or chop very fine by hand
5. Add this mixture with remaining ingredients to softened butter in a medium bowl and incorporate into a homogenous mixture by hand. KitchenAid mixer with paddle attachment also works well for this
6. Put butter aside at room temp for immediate use or roll into logs with plastic wrap for refrigeration or freezing for later use. Butter will last at least 1 week under refrigeration or up to 6 months in the freezer
For the Breadcrumbs:
1 CUP FINE BREAD CRUMBS (HOMEMADE OR STOREBOUGHT ARE FINE. I PREFER FRENCH BREAD CRUMBS)
1 CUP PARMESAN CHEESE, FINELY GRATED
1 TSP CHILI FLAKES (I PREFER SWEET KOREAN CHILI KNOWN AS WANG CHILI NAMED AFTER THE BRAND THAT CAN BE FOUND AT ALL ASIAN MARKETS)
1 BN PARSLEY, CHOPPED FINE
1. Combine all ingredients and set aside for immediate use. These can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
For the marinated Oysters:
48EA FRESH IN SHELL OYSTERS, SHUCKED AND REMOVE FROM SHELL COMPLETELY (RESERVE ONE HALF OF SHELL FOR GRILLING)
.5 CUP CHAMPAGNE VINEGAR
1 OZ CRYSTAL HOT SAUCE
1. Stir vinegar and hot sauce together and gently mix into oysters and refrigerate in an air tight container for at least 6 and up to 24 hrs.
For the grilled Oysters:
48 EA OYSTERS MARINATED AND PLACED BACK INTO HALF SHELLS CLEANED OF ANY CONNECTIVE TISSUE
1 LB BUTTER
2 CUPS GRATED SEMI SOFT MELTING CHEESE SUCH AS HAVARTI, FONTINA, OR GOUDA
1 CUP BREAD CRUMB MIXTURE
Top marinated oysters with 1oz. Butter Mixture , 1 Tbl Cheese, 1 tsp Bread Crumb Mixture. Grill until bubbly and cheese is melted. This works for all grills charcoal or propane. Make sure your grill is high! 450 degrees works covered and uncovered.
( Recipe generously shared from Grand Isle Restaurant by Brustman Carrino Public Relations)
And if you love New Orleans the way we do, check out new Instagram @NOLA.bites for more mouthwatering goodies in the Big Easy.
575 Convention Center Blvd
New Orleans, LA