Saturday Sweets: Nutella Rice Krispies RECIPE
RECIPE: Nutella Rice Krispies
If you know me, then you know Nutella is the greatest thing ever invented in my eyes. I may or may not (I definitely do) have two jars of Nutella in my house at all times – one to bake with, as I have almost a cult following when it comes to my Nutella Swirl cake and one for me to eat out of over and over with a spoon whenever I’m craving that chocolaty goodness!
I can find an excuse to add Nutella to almost anything and that’s exactly what I did here. I love Rice Krispies! The snap, crackle, and pop crunch of the cereal engulfed in gooey marshmallow happiness of the iconic Rice Krispie Treat is enough to make me weak in the knees, but when you go and add TWO cups of Nutella into the mix – forget it, all bets are off! Keep these babies far far away from me or else they will be gone in a day. I hope you enjoy these just as much as I do!
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 (10.5 oz) bag mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup butter – note: coconut oil works just as well!
- 2 cups of Nutella – one for the Rice Krispies and one for the topping
- ½ cup chocolate chips – I prefer semi-sweet
- 1 tbsp shortening
- Measure out Rice Krispies into a large bowl
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat melt butter and marshmallows together, stirring constantly about 5 minutes
- Once melted add 1 cup of Nutella and stir until combined
- Pour marshmallow mixture in bowl with cereal and stir to coat – I recommend using a wooden spoon and coating it with cooking spray or butter to prevent sticking
- Press into a greased or foil lined 9 x 13 inch pan – when pressing down it can get really sticky so I usually also coat my hands in cooking spray and it eliminates the stickiness. It’s a messy job but it’s totally worth it in the end!
Note: You could stop here and enjoy them in about an hour after they’ve settled and they would still be delicious, but the topping we are about to make really seals the deal on these treats.
- In a medium saucepan heat Nutella, chocolate chips, and shortening over medium-low heat until smooth
- Once smooth pour over settling Rice Krispies in pan and spread evenly
- Place pan in the fridge for about an hour to set
- Once set, cut those bad boys up and enjoy!!