Sea Yourself at Sea Level Restaurant and Ocean Bar
"Summertime and the living is easy", especially when you have fabulous food and drinks and the waves of the ocean surrounding you. Fortunately, in South Florida summertime lasts almost year-round and I recently had the pleasure of dining at Sea Level Restaurant & Ocean Bar, located at the Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and Spa.
Newly appointed Executive Chef Javier Jaramillo leads the way at this perfect beach spot. Luckily you do not need to be a guest at the hotel in order to eat here and the poolside bar makes it the perfect spot for a Florida day by the pool. Setting Sea Level apart from other seashore eateries is the restaurant’s wall-to-wall chalkboard. The chalkboard menu acts as Chefs Javier’s testing ground for potential menu items and changes daily. Many of these specials are inspired by Jaramillo’s Caribbean background and feature fresh produce and quality ingredients.
Our seaside evening started with drinks at the poolside bar. Since I am gluten free, and not much of a drinker, I decided on a glass of Pinot Grigio. The weather was perfect for enjoying our drinks outside, before moving inside to their gorgeous dining area, which had floor-to-ceiling glass windows, providing a great view of the ocean. A native of Puerto Rico, and inspired by his upbringing, Chef Javier brings the exciting flavors of the Caribbean into his new menu.
What we ate:
1. Coconut Rock Shrimp, with mango aioli (not gluten free)
2. Season’s Harvest Vegetables, with hummus, Greek yogurt ranch, and flatbread (not gluten free);
3. Chilled Peel and Eat Shrimp, with cocktail sauce;
4. Rock Shrimp Ceviche, new age style with coconut milk, Peruvian yellow pepper puree, lime juice, and tostones (gluten free);
5. Spiced Black Grouper, with cucumber melon salad and avocados (gluten free);
6. Angus Beef Strip Steak, with crispy yucca, arugula salad, and cilantro aioli (gluten free); and
7. Quinoa Bowl, with foraged mushrooms, charred broccolini, peppadew peppers, and olive-citrus sauce (gluten free).
The food is fresh with plenty of GF options, the service is attentive, and the views are amazing. Sea Level is wonderful for a family day by the beach, girl’s night out with friends, or a perfect date night with your loved one. What more could you ask for in South Florida?
Sea Level offers Happy Hour from 5 pm to 7 pm with $4 Domestics, $6 House Wines, and $6 Spirits, and a great selection of appetizers.
Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and Spa
3030 Holiday Drive.
Fort Lauderdale, FL